Posted in TILs by Tyrone on August 14, 2020
Google has recently updated Google Maps with a new Docked Bikeshare directions feature.
This new addition practically allows you to find the nearest bike sharing dock to your current location.
It even provides a link to the third party bike sharing app to make ride sharing more streamlined.
Next, it provides turn-by-turn cycling directions to the closest dock, from your destination, as well as detailed navigation for walking to your final destination.
More, you’re also informed about the live bike availability in each dock.
How To Get Docked Bikeshare Directions in Google Maps
All that you have to do is run the latest Google Maps version on your iPhone (direct link) or Android device (direct link) and follow the step-by-step tutorial available below:
1. Open Google Maps on your iOS or Android device.
2. Tap on the Search field and type your destination.
3. Select Directions, available in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
4. Switch for Cycling, as means of transport. Check out the closest bikesharing dock available.
5. Scroll the turn-by-turn navigation timeline and tap on the ‘Open in app’ button. Your smartphone will open the specific bikesharing app allowing you to easily rent a bike and cycle to the nearest dock, from your final destination.
Google Maps Docked Bikeshare Directions Availability
The docked bike share directions are currently available for 10 cities worldwide. The availability is expected to expand in the future.
– New York City, U.S. (Citi Bike/Lyft)
– Chicago, U.S. (Divvy/Lyft)
– San Francisco Bay Area, U.S. (Bay Wheels/Lyft)
– Washington, DC, U.S. (Capital Bikeshare/Lyft)
– Montreal, Canada (BIXI/Lyft)
– London, England (Santander Cycles/TfL)
– Mexico City, Mexico (Ecobici)
– Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (Bike Itaú)
– São Paulo, Brazil (Bike Itaú)
– Taipei and New Taipei City, Taiwan (YouBike)
Are you getting the new Google Maps docked bikershare directions on your smartphone? Do you find them useful? Let us know with the help of the comments section available below.
Related: Google has introduced cycling directions for Google Maps 10 years ago. Apple is about to premier them this fall. iOS 14 finally brings Apple Maps cycling directions to iPhone and Apple Watch!