Enthusiasm refers to the ability to show a keen interest in a subject or an activity, as well as a readiness to get involved.
It is one step above a mere interest. Enthusiastic people are people who have a strong feeling of eagerness to do something. Until they see that dream or task fulfilled, they never want to give up. Enthusiastic people work with passion, even when the financial rewards are scanty. They possess an intrinsic motivation that spurs them on.
We can tell when someone is enthusiastic about his profession. Whiles at work, they smile often, report on time, try to correct every mistake till everything is intact, work extra hours etc. Anytime they think about work, they get excited.
Importance of enthusiasm
This is a skill that every manager or employer loves to see in his employees. It has tremendous benefits for the individual who possesses this skill and the organization that has such members or employees.
Some random benefits of enthusiasm are:
- The enthusiastic person is not easily demotivated by temporal crisis. He still enjoys working even when all is not well at the work place. This helps him work effectively – It becomes easier to ignore obstacles or challenges while concentrating on your task.
- The ability to demonstrate enthusiasm for a job during job interviews and applications is one skill that distinguishes the enthusiastic applicant from the others. In other words, it helps you gain recognition.
- Enthusiasm is infectious. With time, people are affected by the zealousness and passion of their colleagues. A single enthusiastic person can transform the workplace atmosphere into a positive, exciting and vibrant working atmosphere.
- Great testimonials of enthusiastic people from their previous workplaces and schools are not hard to find.
How to improve on your level of enthusiasm
Enthusiasm should be natural but if you don’t have it, you can still develop it. Though some people have a strong enthusiasm, they are not able to express or communicate it. The tips below will help you improve on this skill.
- See the positive sides of every situation you find yourself in. Identifying something positive in the midst of negativity can change your perception about that particular situation. You can focus on that positive thing and work towards achieving it. For instance; as a teacher, your employer has cut your pay by 20% but seeing the positive– that your job is beneficial to innocent children – you may ignore the setback and remain passionate about your work.
- Associate yourself with enthusiastic people. As we discussed above, enthusiasm is infectious. If you see an enthusiastic colleague, draw closer to them and befriend them. The more you talk and build a relationship, you will realize that you are beginning to exhibit some of his enthusiastic traits.
- Be cautious of the kind of information you access. Negative voices, from people around you or the media, can sap your enthusiasm. Learn to replace such negative information with positive ones and dissociate from such people and sources.
Job profiles that require this skill